DISTRICT ACADEMIC SENATE
Welcome to the website of the Los Angeles Community College District Academic Senate (DAS).
The DAS is charged under Title 5, Section 53200 of the California Educational Code with representing the faculty of the Los Angeles Community College District in all academic and professional matters (10+1). The 10+1 areas include the following policy development and implementation matters:
1. Curriculum including establishing prerequisites and placing course within disciplines;
2. Degree and certificate requirements;
3. Grading policies;
4. Educational program development;
5. Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success;
6. Disitrict and college governance structures, as related to faculty roles;
7. Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes, including self-study and annual
8. Policies for faculty professional development activities;
9. Processes for program review;
10. Processes for institutional planning and budget development;
11. Other academic and professional matters as are mutually agreed upon between the
governing board and the academic senate.
For more information on the implementation agreements between the District Academic Senate and the Board of Trustees, please refer to the Governance link to the left, and to Chapter XVIII, Article 1 of the District Board Rules (see the Board of Trustees webpage).
The DAS Executive Committee is composed of six officers and the Senate presidents from the nine colleges. Three additional representatives are selected from each college as campus representatives, and combined with the members of the Executive Committee, constitute the full District Academic Senate.
As set forth in the DAS Constitution, the Exec Committee brings issues, resolutions and other matters from the Educational Services Center (District Office) and the nine college senates to the full Academic Senate for discussion and action. If approved, the Exec then sends approved motions to the Chancellor and the Board of Trustees, where depending on the type of issue, and through the shared governance process, the Senate and the Board will seek mutual agreement or rely primarily on the Senate's recommendations as defined in Article XVIII of the LACCD Board Rules.
DAS Executive meetings are generally held monthly throughout the year at the District Office, while the entire DAS meets at one of the nine campuses at least five times per year. You can access the "DAS Master Calendar" for dates and locations of meetings and events from the menu on the left.
Notices of meetings, including agendas, minutes and relevant background materials are posted in the lobby of the LACCD Educational Services Center at 770 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles, CA and online under "Agendas". You may also request an electronic copy of DAS meeting agenda over email at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information or assistance, please contact :
President, District Academic Senate
1st Vice President /Equivalency
2nd Vice President /Curriculum
John Freitas III